Thursday, September 1, 2022

Cutting Capers

Since we have lived here, we have consumed a positively ridiculous quantity of capers. Some ideas? Put in tuna with dried tomatoes and mayo. Add to lemon chicken. Pasta with a tomato-based sauce containing tuna, onions, and capers. The list is quite long and I'm always happy to add to said list.

I have also heard rumors that caper plants grow all over the place here, but have never had the chance to follow it up. Happening to mention it to an acquaintance, she happily told me that not only did she know where to find the caper plants, but there were probably still some in season to be harvested! We agreed to meet the following day so she could show me where they were and proper harvesting techniques.

Come to find out that not only are the buds edible, but also the new leaves and the smaller fruits (seed pods). I happily collected as many as we could find; being at the end of the season, we only collected enough for a smallish jar, but my objective of learning location and technique was easily met. Joy!

Caper buds and leaves have to be soaked in salt, which can be the primary means of preservation. Having soaked them in salt, however, they can also be pickled or preserved in brine. The latter two are my preference, so after a few days' salt treatment I will be learning how to pickle capers.

Love,

Alexandra


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your comments! They encourage us to write more!!